Thursday, February 21, 2013

ABRACADABRA ... DIIGO


     
As a fairly organized individual, I enjoy keeping track of what I read and learn.  I always have the best intentions to use what I find as a resource in my classroom.  However, I have a tendency to write things down and forget where I wrote it or put it.  Abracadabra – Diigo entered my life! Now I have a great tool to help me keep track of all those ideas and resources, which will increase my competence as an educator.


As I am reading through people’s blogs, like Mary Ellen's, who teaches fourth grade, and investigating sites for my wiki, digital storytelling projectliteracy project, etc., I feel I have just grazed the tip of an iceberg of knowledge and resources. The wealth of information is infinite.
 
                                              
 
 I have found information about the moon, explorers, readers theater,  reader's workshop (Rockin Reading Workshop blog), and folktales, which are all units I teach in third grade. Diigo will work for me and I am overjoyed to use it.  I can view how others are approaching the various content areas I am teaching and gain not only a different, but broader perspective about topics. This opportunity can only enrich my student’s learning experiences as well as make me a better teacher.

           



What would you do without Diigo?
 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Lea,

    I hope you are bookmarking and tagging with Diigo all the teaching ideas you are finding on other teachers' blog. Some of the posts have excellent videos that you might even be able to use in your own classroom. We don't always have the time to create our own videos and other resources, but when we can find digital tools embedded in others' blogs and we can access them easily through our Diigo Library, we have instructional materials at our fingertips.

    Another advantage of Diigo is that it is not blocked in schools. Some teachers like to use Pinterest, but this site is still blocked in many schools.

    Thus, when we are teaching, we can access our Diigo Library, search in it with our tags, and find a resource we want to use in the classroom.

    Yes, I like to keep my digital life organized, and I do find Diigo works better for me as an organizational tool than Pinterest. I might pin to my many boards in Pinterest, but if I need to find a resource quickly, my Diigo tags get me right to the resource I want and makes it that much easier to share with others on the spot.

    Respectfully,

    Judy Arzt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think each grade level should have a shared Diigo. It would be a great way to share resources, especially with all this new common core stuff coming our way!

    ReplyDelete