Saturday, February 23, 2013

Why Does Learning about Space Matter?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."  
Nelson Mandela                                 


My students are creating a WIKI for their literacy project. Kids love learning about space! When my class  recently studied the moon, they asked if they were going to study the planets too? Since the planets are not part of the third grade curriculum, I hesitated.  How could I refuse these enthusiastic, eager, little cherubs, who displayed a thirst for knowledge! I thought about Ann Thibodeau's blog and her thoughts about the realities of teaching students a set curriculum. Should I allow my students the opportunity to expand on their thinking to areas where they want to learn more?

                                  

I decided I would encourage my students to undertake learning facts about their favorite planet and entitle it enrichment. Why?  After reading Free Technology for Teachers, I came across this YouTube Video from a scientist at NASA and his belief in the importance of man continuing to explore space. 



This scientist raised some important questions that can apply to students who are interested in space.

Why does space matter?
Why is it important to explore the inner solar system?
Where will man venture next?

                

Obviously, there have been cuts to the NASA program and my understanding is space exploration will become more privatized in the future.  However, is it not important for students to wonder about things like the planets and outer space?  Of course, this is crucial to raising critical and creative thinkers. 
                                                        

My thinking was further confirmed when I found the site Wonderopolis.  This is a parent/child site where students can ask questions they wonder about and it allows them to search for their answers. Here is a short video about the site and the importance of children being allowed to explore their interests.



Mrs. Morris and Miss Jordan's class have access to laptops and interactive whiteboards.  Students use the Internet daily.  Shouldn't this be a standard in every classroom in America?  How else can we inspire our students to be creative and critical thinkers? How do you feel about students exploring their interests? 

My students asked, "Why Pluto was no longer considered a planet?" Here is a vimeo that explains the answer to this.



No comments:

Post a Comment