Saturday, February 2, 2013

Inspiring Our Future Einsteins

                 Inspiring Our Future Einsteins

"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge."
Albert Einstein
As I was perusing the innumerable sites related to digital storytelling, it inspired me to use some of these tools in my class. Digital Story Telling Sites

I can increase listening skills, develop oral presentations, aid reading fluency and enhance writing in my students by utilizing some of these phenomenal ideas from other teachers.
                                                  

If there is an audience for my students outside the realm of the classroom, students will be more motivated, more prepared and have a better sense of purpose. Inspiring students by David Dogson

    
                                          
                                      
My students are presently engaged in an independent work project aside from the study of the moon. Students are writing planet reports using various sources. Once they have completed their reports, they can create a Power Point presentation to the class about what they learned.  Power Point for Kids Here is a sample of what my expectation will be from sites I found.  Power Point of Solar Systems by students   Student created Power Point on Planets
              



Another idea I found useful while searching various digital storytelling sites was videotaping book talks.   After my students read a book, they must discuss the book with me.  Since the implementation of the new curricular demands in my district  Common Core Standards and prepping for the Connecticut Mastery Tests, I don’t have enough time for this critical piece of Reader's Workshop.  Several parents have volunteered in my room, so I thought they could video record students giving a book talk. Then I could watch it at a later time.  In this way students will have the opportunity to discuss what they read and then I could use this as a tool to discuss summarizing.  I found this idea on Glogster. Students presenting book talks.   The teacher also used video recording to have students predict about a story they were reading. Great ideas for the classroom!

                                      
                                                           A Fable from YouTube

Finally, the class just completed writing fables after a unit of study on folktales, fairy tales and fables.  Since fables for the most part use animals as the main characters, students could make hand puppets of their characters. Their stories only have two or three characters.  Next, I would have students draw the setting.  Then I would video the students reading the story while they had other students use the puppets to act it out. This is a video of puppets acting out a story. This type of learning would definitely generate high interest and teach students the importance of writing fluency and sequencing in their writing.
                                        
                         

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment