Sunday, February 3, 2013

GOOGLY EYED READER


After reading all these resources, I have developed googly eyes!
 
Using my Google Reader, I have subscribed to several educators’ blogs.  It is exciting and inspiring to learn new things about concepts I am teaching.  Implementing these ideas encourage my students to be more motivated about learning.


                                               


I watched a video on Mr. Avery’s blog that showed student’s role playing ways to overcome peer pressure.  When I teach the health unit on drugs and alcohol, video recording students as they practice ways to prevent getting involved with the wrong crowd could be a great demonstration for the class.   Mr. Avery, a sixth grade teacher, has many other interesting ideas on his blog as well.  So check it out!
                                     

Mr. Salsich is a third grade teacher and he participates in quad blogging.  Since I teach the same grade, there are multiple opportunities to compare curriculum ideas.  Presently, he is teaching an informational writing unit on topic sentences with supporting details. This is a requirement for third grade as part of the new Common Core State Standards. I taught an informational unit in October. In February, my co-workers and I are writing an informational reading and writing unit on explorers. Mr. Salsich used a picture of a taco with the meat, lettuce, and cheese to represent the topic sentence and supporting details.
                                    
Mrs. Lareau, a third grade teacher, videotapes her students when they do book talks. This gave me the idea, which I mentioned in a previous blog.  She teaches in Massachusetts and her class studies the Wampanoag Native Americans.  On her blog there is a game for students about the Wampanoag Native Americans.
 
                                        
These are just a few of the resources I have found using Google Reader. What a wonderful resource!
                        
 

1 comment:

  1. I really like the visual representation of the taco for students to remember topic sentence and supporting details. I have seen that when students have something like the taco to connect with they are more likely to remember the skill associated with it.

    And who doesn't love tacos?

    ReplyDelete